Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Dream without a Goal is a Wish. A Goal without a Plan is just a Dream!

"A dream without a goal is a wish. A Goal without a Plan is just a dream"


"I wish I could lose weight" 
"I would love to have a better job"
"I hope one day I can purchase my own house"
"I wish I could spend more time with God"
"I hope I can have my own business one day"

Have you heard these comments or have said one or two on occasion? Newsflash some day and one day are not days of the week. What is your I wish...I hope...I want...one day/someday statements?  What are you doing to accomplish them or are you satisfied with just talking about it? 

Here are four tips that I have used to accomplish my goals. Hopefully it will inspire you to accomplish your goals. I will use my News Year Resolution of Getting in the Best Shape of My Life as an example: 

1. Write your Goals Down - It's important to write your goals somewhere that you can view daily to keep you focused.  If it's not written down where you can see it frequently, chances are you will forget about your commitment to your goals. 

2. Change Your Negative Thinking  Stop thinking negatively and telling yourself you will never accomplish your goals.  A negative mindset is a dream killer.  

Remind  yourself of this Scripture  "For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13 

3. Your Goals should be S.M.A.R.T: 
  • S - Specific
  • M - Measurable
  • A - Attainable
  • R - Realistic 
  • T - Timely
For example it's not enough for me to say " I want to get in the best shape of my life". A S.M.A.R.T goal is "I am going to lose 10lbs in two months by eating a balanced diet and working out daily.  It is specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely. It is SMART.

4. Every Goal Needs a Plan of Action
It's not enough for me to say "I'm going to lose 10lbs in two months by eating a balance diet and working out daily." I need to develop this plan by providing details of how to accomplish the overall goal. 
A. Working Out 
     i. Do Crossfit 4 days during the week
     ii. Run on the weekends
     iii. Always rest 1 day a week

B. Eating a Balanced Meal
    i. Six Days a week eat six small meals 2-3 hours apart
    ii. Drink 8 cups of water daily
    iii. Limit carbs after lunch
    iv. Allow a cheat meal (not a cheat day) once a week

What are your goals?  Write them down, change your thinking, make S.M.A.R.T goals and Create a Plan of Action. Every day is a day to accomplish your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment